Leaving employer coverage to enroll in Medicare as your primary insurance can be overwhelming. If you follow the correct steps, it is a painless process. The best way to get the most out of Medicare is to plan ahead of time. Our website has most of the information you need about Medicare planning.
First, you should know that you can only enroll in Original Medicare Parts A & B through the Social Security office. Enrollment for other parts and supplemental coverage is done through an insurance agent or agency. Also, if you already get Social Security, the government will enroll you in both Medicare parts. If not, you must enroll.
Here is a rundown of the initial steps:
1. Verify your Medicare eligibility.
2. Research Medicare costs to prepare for what you will pay.
3. Apply for Medicare at a Social Security office or online.
4. Get your red, white, and blue Medicare card. Is it showing both Part A and B? Part B is required if Medicare is your primary insurance.
5. Know your insurance options: Medicare Supplemental Insurance or Medicare Advantage.
6. Get someone on your side by working with an insurance agency like us. Our advice is free and we are always available.
7. Review your coverage annually to ensure you’re getting the best deal.